It’s no secret that I love me some wandering. But before I embark on any voyage, there are some things that I like to do to be prepared. Atleast that is what I tell myself.
Today, I am sharing those with you guys. Enjoy ! Also, tell me what you do when you travel.
- I take pictures of all the important documents like passports, visa, tickets, hotel reservations, credit cards, ID cards etc. I not only save it in my phone but also back it up on the internet. I like to think that I am ultra prepared although I rarely am. It makes me feel really good about myself. Also in case of any emergency, you have back up to show your documents. Win win.
- Whether I am traveling by road or by plane, I download ebooks beforehand. Don’t worry, I take paperbacks as well. But I take very few of those because I know that no matter what the destination, I will be visiting a bookstore. So eBooks are my go to.
- If you are not a reader, then download movies. I do this mostly on road trips. But this time, we have no in-flight TV so I have already downloaded several movies to watch during transits and such. Also, this is the perfect time to catch up on any of your favourite TV shows. (On a side note, do you know how hard it is to find movies that both you and your partner will like ? It’s a nightmare for me because we never agree on anything.)
- I hate airplane food so stocking up on snacks is a high priority on my list. It’s nasty people, the food. If you like it, something is really wrong with you. Also, I am not okay with paying 50 QR for a Burger King burger at the airport. Yes, I am looking at you Hamad International Airport. I hit my local Baqala aka grocery shop to get the junk I need.
- If you see a homeless person in the airport, I guarantee that would be me. I wear the most comfortable clothing I can find which is three year old sweats. Same goes for the shoes. I was that idiot who wore new pumps once and ended up hobbling the entire journey. Comfortable clothes and shoes are the key to good traveling.
- Maybe I am weird for doing this but I take a shower before traveling. That’s also the first thing I do when I reach the destination, after jumping on the bed ofcourse. No matter how swanky the airport and the plane is, after a 9 hour journey, you are bound to have a layer of grime on you.
- I tend to leave all my valuable things at home. This mainly includes Gold/Diamond jewelry or my watch. I always take inexpensive sunglasses with me. There are two reasons for doing this. First, I lose things very easily. Second, our travels are mostly adventure based so they include a lot of adrenaline pumping activities which aren’t ideal for any of your valuable stuff. This is just what I do personally. If you are going for more of a five star vacation than feel free to take whatever you want.
- The last thing I do is write it all down. This totally depends on my mood or where I am. For the most part, I am always jotting down experiences and the things I do. If I look back, I can remember the bigger stuff like going for Desert Safari in Dubai or wearing cotton clothes to Saif-ul-Malook. It’s the details like how mad I was at Abbu for not joining us on a trip to KSA or how we ended up paying more to go to Ferrari World than our tickets, that I miss. So I try my best to put my memories in words.
At the end of the day, I just like to keep in mind that exploring this world is an education of it’s own. The life lessons you learn here cannot be found in textbooks or research labs. Those are experiences and tools that you will use to lead an everyday life. So when you leave a certain place, take away something from it. Even if it is a single word.