You know that one person you would have married and all the problems in the world would have been solved because of it. You don’t. I do. This is for that friend.
So here are twenty things I want her to know:
- I am sorry that I have been a lousy friend. Well, I am getting my shit together. Who am I kidding with that.
- Keep your courage and strength. I hate it when you are down and you doubt yourself. I want you to remember that there is someone who derives energy from your actions and your hard work.
- Always have ice cream in your freezer. There is nothing that a container of Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream can’t fix. My logic is that after eating a ton of it, you forget what you were worried about in the first place. Problem solved. (for like eight hours)
- Medicine is tough. It’s what I imagine jumping off a plane without a parachute is like. Real life Hunger Games babeh ! (trying to sound cool when I am not) But you are doing this because that is what you have always wanted.
- You have forgotten what a good ten hour sleep looks like or waking up at 11:00 am is like. But it’s all for a good cause. You want to help people. You want to make a difference. And this is the way you are going to do that.
- Remember that there are thousands of women doctors in our country but only 20% of them work. So we need doctors. We need compassionate doctors who understand their patients. We need you.
- Making Gol Rotiyan may sound like heaven right now but it’s not. It’s a load of shit and drama 24/7, 365 days of the year. Trust me, I know. So stick with what you know. Study hard and become a doctor.
- Also, since I ruined my mother’s dream of becoming a doctor myself. I need you to graduate so I can attend your convocation and see what the fuss is all about. I will be the one wearing a bright orange Congrats t-shirt and shouting your name.
- Let’s get one thing clear. She is mine, people. Don’t even think that you can take her away. I might be continents apart but her brain belongs here. So enjoy the time you guys have with her. Because the ending is all me.
- I miss you. The kind where I want to see your face at least once a week, eat good food, talk about your Phupho’s daughter’s inlaw’s tragedy or discuss Lorelai’s thousand yellow Daisies proposal.
- I want to get married again, just so I can do everything with you. I didn’t miss you as much at the actual wedding. I missed you more during my shopping trip to Pakistan. Because I kept thinking, if only Teebi was here, she would say this or that.
- You are my person. I am very lucky that I found you so early in my life because life without you is just unimaginable. I honestly, don’t even remember who I was friends with before you.
- Reason no 34587 that you need to pass your profs and get that degree is because I need to take a vacation with you. For that we need money which you will be able to earn once you have that degree. So study like a champ. And dream about Bali, Florence, St.Petersburg etc, the choice is yours.
- You are the only person who can understand me without me uttering a word. It’s magic. I never looked for the perfect love or the perfect friend because you already gave that to me. Thank you for that !
- Thank you for being the best person, friend, sister, study buddy (all those grueling math sessions ), virtual advice giver and so much more.
- The reason I am writing this is because I am trying to be a better friend, not waste your crucial time but still buck you up and put a smile on ‘Baingan’s face’.
- When life kicks you in your gut while punching your face, remember that we are all rooting for you. (by all I mean me, my siblings, parents, extended family aka Khalas, Mamo etc)
- I know you know this but consider this a reminder. I am ALWAYS here for you. I cannot guarantee this for anyone else. But you, I am here, today and always.
- Look, I consider myself your true friend. So if this whole medical thing isn’t working out, no problem. I am ready to find you a rich single guy and you can spend the rest of your days matching his ties and ordering the maids around. 😛
- I love you. Because of who you are, of who I am when I am with you, of who you have made me. Simply because you are you. Never lose that.
What do you want your best friend to know ? Give her/him a call and tell them what it is that you love about them.